Is it possible to eat well on a budget? Of course, anything is possible. Friday was grocery day. I went to the market and spent 75 € for ingredients to prepare three fresh, homemade dinners for our family of four, roughly the price of one dinner for two at a favorite tapas bar.
Meats & Seafood (38 €)
- 1 kilo beef (rump), tied for a roast
- 3 large bone-in chicken thighs (6 pieces) & 8 chicken sausage links
- 350 g. salmon filets
- 1 kilo rock muscles
Legumes (5 €)
- 500 g. cooked garbanzo beans
- 500 g. cooked potato salad mix: potato, carrots and peas
Fruits, veggies and herbs (17 €)
- 500 g. cherries
- 1.5 kilo peaches
- 1 head of lettuce
- 1 eggplant
- 1 kilo tomatoes
- 1 cucumber
- 1 bunch of purple onions
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 lemon
- 1 head of garlic
- 1 bunch of mint
- 1 bunch of parsley
1 bottle of Otazu 2013 Rosé (9 €)
Items already at home: salt, pepper, olive oil, vinegar, yogurt, eggs, baguette (6 €).
- Dinner 1: Roast beef, bean salad & greens; desert: desert: cherries or peaches, yogurt.
- Dinner 2: Muscles, salmon filets, gazpacho soup; desert: desert: cherries or peaches, yogurt.
- Dinner 3: Roast chicken thighs with sausage pieces, green vegetable salad, sautéed garbanzos with eggplant; desert: cherries or peaches, yogurt.
All fresh, nothing processed, delicious, and healthy.