It is starting to feel wintery so I am back to making lots of soups, especially those with veggies and those that can be puréed. I don’t know why but my kids are suspicious of chunky soups, it’s as though the vegetables are too conspicuous. This soup is vegetable based with tomatoes, and puréed, it’s a perfect comfort food.
- 1 large onion sliced thin
- 1 stalk celery chopped into small pieces
- 2 carrots, cut into rounds
- 1 small potato peeled and chopped
- 1 15 oz can whole peeled tomatoes or 1 jar homemade canned tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp olive oil or butter
- 6 cups water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese and/or basil for serving
Sautee the onions, celery in the butter in a heavy bottomed pan over medium heat. When soft add the carrots and cook a few minutes. Add the potatoes, tomatos, tomato paste, salt and water and cook slowly for 30 minutes or until the vegetables are very soft. Purée the soup, add salt and pepper and serve with grated Parmesan cheese and basil. Serves 4.